Old 09-04-2007, 02:07 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default Do coffee grounds help or hinder plants?

"Claude" wrote in message
Does anyone know whether or not coffee grounds are dangerous for the
health of plants or lawn? I heard once that they are sometimes used when
turf is laid, but at my place there is a suggestion that some plants are
in declining health because I emptied the contents of the plunger on them!

From memory coffee is acidic which will make the soil sour. So the ground
will be good for azaleas, gardenias and camellias because they like acid
soils. Not so good for things that like neutral pH to slightly alkaline
conditions. I would suggest a handful of lime, dolomite or rockdust to even
the ledger as all are alkaline.

Cheers

Dick