Old 10-04-2007, 12:46 PM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default potato fruits!

i wouldn't know crap from christmas when it comes to potatoes, but i read
somewhere that potato plants will very, very occasionally make fruits.

3 potato plants have come up spontaneously in my back yard (which is rather
good as i'm out of spuds atm) & now all three have fruits!! i can't believe
it. i'm going to see what happens after all the flowers die off & all. the
potatoes are some sort of white ones, sebago or something (i dug around &
had a look), which i wouldn't normally grow cos i like pink taties.

it's nice to get something unexpected, but doubly nice to get something
doubly unexpected.

does anyone know if the fruits will have viable seeds? how would one tell
when the fruits are ripe? (atm they look not unlike little tresses of green
cherry tomatoes.) we are overdue for the first frost of the year so the
plants & i are making the most of it while we can. first frost is normally
mid-march. (gawd!)
thanks!!
kylie