Old 10-04-2007, 07:57 PM posted to triangle.gardens
MaryMind MaryMind is offline

Default Free wood chips/mulch anywhere?

On 2007-04-10, Marymind wrote:
Philip Semanchuk wrote:
In article , Marymind
wrote:

Philip Semanchuk wrote:
Hi all,
Does anyone know of a tree trimming service in the Triangle that allows
you to help yourself to their chipped wood?

Thanks
Just give one of them a call Philip and ask them to dump a load of chips
at your home. I used to do that years ago with a Chatham Co tree
service...but be aware that lots of nitrogen is released by fresh
chipped wood.
Thanks, Mary. I called Davey Tree in Morrisville (919-460-8733) and they
agreed to do just that next time they're in my area. BTW did you mean
that nitrogen is *consumed* by fresh wood chips rather than released?
The former has always been what I've been told. But I'll be using these
to grow mushrooms so I'm not too worried about the nitrogen anyway. =)

Cheers

Hi, Phil,
That's great. The fresh chips release a lot of nitrogen.......but they
also break down nicely into your soil. I used them for three years in a
row instead of buying them at Lowe's and my garden soil is loaded with
earthworms ...the soil is very rich and loose.
Mushrooms!! Yum............a business or personal use?
Good luck!

Actually wood chips CONSUME nitrogen until composted, then they release
it. Actually the composting bacteria use the nitrogen to decompose the
wood. The tannic acid in woodchips can present a problem to some plants.
It does not seem to affect shrubs, but I would not use it on vegetables
until it is well composted. I would not use wood chips close to a house
foundation due to the fact that the wood will also attract termites.

Well, I guess I had that wrong!!! Thanks for the info...........Mary