Old 13-04-2007, 03:45 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Need Help Deciding What Kind Of Tree I Need

On 12 Apr 2007 14:31:52 -0700, "mab" wrote:

I'm looking for good Plum & Peach trees that will do well in full sun,
in austin, produces good peaches and plums to eat. What kind should I
get and do you know where I could get one?

The best peach I ever ate, which has very low chill hours (400 hours
under 45 degrees) is 'Dixieland.' You can buy one in any of the
better garden centers. It's a little late now for that, but you can
still check around. Call The Natural Gardener. That's where I bought
mine several years ago. It was a whip. Four years later it is 20
feet tall and wide, upside down umbrella pruned and after proper chill
hours it produced (2 years ago) 15 bushels. Last year I barely got a
peach, but that was because we didn't have but one very light frost
and no real cold weather for sustained period of time.