Old 14-04-2007, 01:12 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jeßus Jeßus is offline

Default Ant problem

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 21:36:06 +1000, Jonno wrote:

Hi Jonno,

I reckon you could be in for some rain maybe?

Yeah, possibly? They do come in waves (of sorts) although they are around
more often than not, regardless of weather. But impending rain does seem
to make them more active.

Is it dry there?

I would say we have had a fair bit of rain overall in recent weeks, but
the soil here is very quick draining. I'm right on the coastline, in Kiama
NSW (Illawarra region)

Either way, the ants tend to be ever present.

We had ants come inside into our electric jug looking for water. when it
was very dry in midsummer.
They may be after the moisture in leaves.

They do seem to seek out moisture, lately theyve even invaded the dunny
bowl here, and I can't even leave fresh cut herbs or other vegetable
matter on the kitchen bench for longer than about 15 minutes.
I'm even brushing them off of my computer desk as I type this...

I find it a little odd, since it isnt /that/ bloody dry here, as mentioned
we have had a fair bit of rain here this year. And yet, they do seem to be
seeking out moisture all the same - not to mention food of course.

Theyre probably argentinian ants . Where do you live?
Have a look here, to see if theyre the same::::
http://www.dpiw.tas.gov.au/inter.nsf...RT-6PM2EH?open

Hmm, theyre much darker than in that photo, but apart from that
seem to be the same size and shape...
(nice site though - I'll be moving to Tassie in a few months myself).

Thanks for the help Jonno, I might phone the ag dept next week and see
what they might suggest.