Old 15-04-2007, 02:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Phyllis and Jim Phyllis and Jim is offline

Default History Channel features ponds in lawn segment

Your combination sounds right on target. We all need combined filter
modes.

Jim has strapping tape in the upflow barrels leading to our berm ponds/
veggie filters. The tape is in mesh bags and acts as a mechanical
filter. He cleans the tape and drains the barrels once a year.

He calls the berm ponds 'compound filters'. The water works its way
through the barrels and two berm ponds before returning to the main
pond. The berm ponds are set up so the water enters at one end and
exits at the top of the other end. Between, it gets mechanically
filtered by the roots of the plants, drops sediment in the slow flow,
loses nutrients to the fast-growing plants and gets exposed to the
bacteria on the roots of the plants. The berm ponds (veggie filters)
get flushed once a year through bottom drains.

Jim loves the easy maintenance...each component gets the muck drained
once a year.

Phyllis

I use a combination of mechanical filter, biofilter, and veggie filter. I
like to hedge my bets. No problems so far.

George