Old 17-04-2007, 02:54 AM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default potato fruits!

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...

yes it is - it only happens to particularly special, worthy people upon
whom
mother nature smiles.... g.

Not true. Happens for us good-for-nothing unworthies, too.

perhaps mother nature is saying "i should give this john character a second
chance, he's all right.." lol :-)

no, i fully admit i'm not up there in potato knowledge - for all i know they
lift up their skirts & spend the night doing the tango. i was (am) just
excited about these plants because they popped up after one of my potato
crops, in the end, was rather unsuccessful, & i htought that was rather
cool, and i get to see the fruits & find out what happens! (maybe).

i have a tamarillo(sp?) that's popped up there as well, & not sure where
that's come from at all! very odd. but nice. :-)

this topic seems never mentioned in garden info, so i guess it might be a
trait of some potato kinds under some circumstances, or something.

Peter Cundall answered all of these questions for you last Fri/Sun.

bugger!!!!!!!! gardening aust is one of those shows where i almost never get
to see it because it's on at times i don't watch telly and i just never
think of it!! very frustrating (but entirely my own problem, of course).

He
said the seed pod is poisonous; either cut it off (I guess the plant
expends some energy into growing it) or leave it to get composted when
the plant expires.

thanks john. i'll leave them on for a bit. i might cut up the fallen ones &
have a look.
kylie
p.s. - yes i know one "should not" suffer potato volunteers to live! i'm
going to let these three get away with it, though.