Old 17-04-2007, 08:21 AM posted to aus.gardens
odonata28 \(Linda\) odonata28 \(Linda\) is offline

Default Ant problem

You too! I've got them everywhere! Ant rid stops them for a while but it
won't hold them back forever....
I spent a small fortune on something that was guaranteed to kill off the
queen (ant that is)
Seems the ant colony must have taken a vote and agreed to carry on without
her cos there still here, business as usual!

Linda at war

"Jeßus" wrote in message
news
Hi All,

I have a 'slight' ant problem here - never seen anything like it before!
They're getting into anything and everything inside the house, and
unfortunately that's not much of an exaggeration :/

Anyway, I'll stick to the garden side of the problem:
Basically they are killing off my plants one by one. So far they've
killed off a few beans, some Kohl Rabi and now one of my Dill plants
is terminal.
Ditto with a Rosemary in a pot. One of my Corianders is looking a little
iffy too.

At first I didn't twig to the problem being ants, but closer inspection
today showed ant trails through the mulch around the affected plants.

As to what kind of ants... not sure, but they're small (.5mm) and dark
brown to black in colour.

I'm sure some of you have had to deal with this problem before, so I'm
hoping you'll have some ideas or solutions...
I grow organically, but am open to any ideas as I'm going to have to do
something soon.

I've tried 'ant sand' and every type of 'ant rid' in the
past, but it doesn't seem to have an impact on the little buggers.

TIA for any ideas