Old 17-04-2007, 08:47 AM posted to aus.gardens
Jack[_7_] Jack[_7_] is offline

Default Ant problem

odonata28 (Linda) wrote:
You too! I've got them everywhere! Ant rid stops them for a while
but it won't hold them back forever.... I spent a small fortune on
something that was guaranteed to kill off the queen (ant that is)
Seems the ant colony must have taken a vote and agreed to carry on
without her cos there still here, business as usual!

Heres some recipes for Ant war III.
Pot plants can be dunked and left a few hours.
That will make em take notice, and add a small amount of deter gent
(and ladies too.)
Solution 9 seems to be the most popular and mentioned everywhere. If
you still have problems after trying all of these, stop being mean and
biological and call a pro. I mean war is war!!! Scorched earth
policy!! They will think twice about tryin you again...

There are multiple organic methods of getting rid of ants that are
eating your plants.

1. Dust area around plants with baking soda (poisonous to ants).?

2. Sprinkle grits, cream of wheat,or instant rice in circle around
plants, the ant will eat one grain, drink water and the grain expands
and kills the ant.?

3. Sprinkle flour or baby powder around plant. Ants will never cross
flour or baby powder. ?

4. Fill spray bottle with equal parts vinegar and water and spray on
plants. The acetic acid in vinegar kills ants. ?

5. Coffee grounds, black pepper, chili powder, cream of tartar,
cinnamon, andpeppermint all deter ants. Coffee grounds can be poured
directly on anthill, they eat the grounds and seem to implode
exploding ants I like!!!

6. Fold contact paper in half sticky side out and make a circle around
base of plant. They'll get stuck on the paper. If this fails use
superglue to glue the ants together and make a gi ant conga line. (I
saw the movie!)

7. Mix one-third cup molasses, six tablespoons sugar, and six
tablespoons active dry yeast into a smooth paste. Coat strips of
cardboard with th mixture. Keep out of reach of pets and small
children. You can leave mixture on a saucer outside anthill and
they'll eat it and die. If you leave it standing in the rain you
will have made ANT beer....

8. Cut off bottom of paper cup and cut slit up the side of the cup and
coat outside with vaseline and place around base of plant. Packing
tape works too.

9. One cup borax, two-thirds cup sugar and one cup water. Dip cotton
balls in the solution and place in areas near your anthill Ants will
leave the plants alone and ingest the sweet mixture and the borax will
kill the ants. This one looks fine!

10. Diatomaceous Earth will destroy the insects outer skeletons,
causing the pests to die from dehydration. Maybe!

11. The final solution Flame throwers and move out your self.