Old 17-04-2007, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
.D.E. .D.E. is offline

Default Lighting fixture upgrade. Questions

Since I have an older T12 lighting fixture, and now it seems that older T12
bulbs are getting harder to find as well as in different wave lengths, I'm
thinking of upgrading my fixtures. Compact Fluorescent is looking nice at 96
watts on a dual bulb fixture, but T5 is looking good as well. I was told
that the T5 bulbs aren't rated in watts as much as the older T12's were.

Currently I'm running 160 watts of 4 x 40 watt bulbs. I want to maintain
that as minimum lighting possibly going as high as 200 on my 66 gallon
planted tank.

Go with T5's? They are bright, but what will my wattage be if I add 2 new
48" bulbs?
CF? A little pricey for the bulbs, but hell, at 2 96 dual fixtures, that
would be great.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

--