Old 19-04-2007, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tim C. Tim C. is offline

Default Am I too late to prune autumn raspberries?

Following up to "Tom" :

Rod wrote:
"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Cut out all the dead wood, and leave the new growth.

Alan

Katie as these are autumn fruiting rasps you should be seeing new
young shoots coming from the ground by now. If so cut off all of last
years canes at ground level. It is a bit late but not too late.
Autumn fruiting fruit on current years canes, normal season rasps
fruit on canes made last year.

Or, if you don't have any summer raspberries, leave half of the canes. These
will fruit in summer and the ones you do cut down will fruit in the autumn.
Then you can cut the summer ones after they have fruited and leave this
years autumn ones to fruit in the summer next year.

(disclaimer: I'm told this works but I haven't actually tried this yet but I
am doing so this year. Has anyone had any success doing this?)

I tried it by accident once and it seems to work.
--
Tim C.