Old 19-04-2007, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson Jim Jackson is offline

Default Am I too late to prune autumn raspberries?

Tom wrote:

Or, if you don't have any summer raspberries, leave half of the canes. These
will fruit in summer and the ones you do cut down will fruit in the autumn.
Then you can cut the summer ones after they have fruited and leave this
years autumn ones to fruit in the summer next year.

(disclaimer: I'm told this works but I haven't actually tried this yet but I
am doing so this year. Has anyone had any success doing this?)

It works. I've been doing it for several years with All Gold and Autumn
Bliss. However I don't leave half, I leave about a tenth, but that's
because I've got summer rasps as well.

I find these give _early_ summer raspberries, when left like this. So they
start off my rasp season and finish it!

Jim
Wakefield Yorks