Old 20-04-2007, 12:00 PM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default asparagus

"0tterbot" wrote in message
i have some asparagus plants i grew from seed over summer. having finally
decided where to put them, does anyone have any thoughts whether it would
be better to do it now, or to wait until spring? (i have heard both). i
was going to wait until spring.

Since they crop in Spring, you need to move them between now and about mid
winter. I don't imagine you'd get much from them next Spring

see above - wasn't going to pick any, actually, so that is quite all right.

at such a
young age - perhaps enough to taste fresh very young tips - then don't
harvest any more till they have had a chace to grow on for another year.

would mid-winter be all right?! that would solve the problem - getting the
bed ready without having to rush. atm they're in my greenhouse but i might
need to toughen them up if they'll be moving later when the frosts have
started. they haven't started dying off for winter or anything. i thought i
could keep them on the verandah outdoors for a while.(?)
kliye