Old 20-04-2007, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default Am I too late to prune autumn raspberries?

Katie Alcock wrote:
On 19/4/07 2:29 pm, in article
, "Jim Jackson"
wrote:

Tom wrote:

Or, if you don't have any summer raspberries, leave half of the
canes. These will fruit in summer and the ones you do cut down will
fruit in the autumn. Then you can cut the summer ones after they
have fruited and leave this years autumn ones to fruit in the
summer next year.

(disclaimer: I'm told this works but I haven't actually tried this
yet but I am doing so this year. Has anyone had any success doing
this?)

It works. I've been doing it for several years with All Gold and
Autumn Bliss. However I don't leave half, I leave about a tenth, but
that's because I've got summer rasps as well.

I find these give _early_ summer raspberries, when left like this.
So they start off my rasp season and finish it!

Gosh - perhaps I should try that, as I don't have summer raspberries.
Do they come out the same as the same variety would in the autumn? I
have Autumn Bliss.

I only have about four canes on a tiny patch so perhaps I would just
leave one.

Seabrook said on GQT, 11 Feb this year, to prune _all_ canes of Autumn
Bliss down to the last fruiting shoot in spring (taking off about a
third). They then fruit in June. Then cut right right down and they
fruit again from August. But I rather think it may now be too late in
the spring for this to work properly, so perhaps the suggestion to do
only half this time is the best idea for this year.

--
Mike.