Old 21-04-2007, 10:55 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default asparagus

"0tterbot" wrote in message

avoiding frost certainly applies :-)

Mine have never seened to mind the cold (it can get down to -9C here) but
then I bought them as 2 year old crowns and that was years ago.

however, they will die back naturally
soon i expect(?!)

Yep.

however, their bed is actually occupied atm - i'd need to very quickly get
it sorted (tear out tomatoes that aren't going anywhere, etc), whereas i'd
rather put in lots of manure & then give it all winter to get all festy &
nice, & put the plants in then, but then....

i'm babbling. i seem to have an equal number of pros & cons either way.
i've been thinking about it for weeks, couldn't decide what to do, & hence
asked here g

Why don't you rip out the toms, put in the asparagus and then pile a lot of
poop on top of the bed? The idea is to get them to produce long asparagus
stems so if they are buried deep, they'll have to do that. the way to
harvest them is to push a knife down into the soil and cut them well down
under the soil so you want good depth of soil.

pardon me for my babbling: i am entirely discombobulated and exhausted by
my new little chickens who arrived late this afternoon. i am worried
they're Special Needs chickens. :-) admittedly they didn't have much time
to settle in this arvo before it got dark - they were too busy trying to
reach my other chooks on the other side of the netting (and getting their
heads doinked through the netting for their trouble!), so when it got dark
all of a sudden they panicked - not having located their house yet - and
burst into a cacophony of panic-stricken cheeping and tried to go to bed
under each other, under a potted plant, up my trouser leg (that WAS cute
;-) etc etc & in the end i had to pick them up & pop them into their house
one at a time, while they were popping right back out again like little
yoyos. this went on for some time until they were all simultaneously in
the house so i could shut the door on them. tee hee!! it was quite
hilarious really but i just needed my dinner & now i've got a headache &
i'm not making any sense.

No you aren't, but I enjoyed the rave anyway :-))