Old 21-04-2007, 09:59 AM posted to aus.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default asparagus

"0tterbot" wrote in message
Since they crop in Spring, you need to move them between now and about
mid winter. I don't imagine you'd get much from them next Spring

see above - wasn't going to pick any, actually, so that is quite all
right.

at such a
young age - perhaps enough to taste fresh very young tips - then don't
harvest any more till they have had a chace to grow on for another year.

would mid-winter be all right?!

Yes, that's about the time you see the poor dry crowns for sale in
nurseries. I've found you can't kill them with a stick. I have one trying
to come up near my clothes line where the asparagus bed used to be about 5
years ago. It's suffered from not bein gwatered at all for all those years
and being walked over all the time but it's still alive. I have 3 more
plants around the garden form other asparagus bed encarnations too. Must
move them this year to the new bed.

that would solve the problem - getting the
bed ready without having to rush. atm they're in my greenhouse but i might
need to toughen them up if they'll be moving later when the frosts have
started. they haven't started dying off for winter or anything. i thought
i could keep them on the verandah outdoors for a while.(?)

Sounds OK to me
kliye

Really?