Old 22-04-2007, 12:47 PM posted to aus.gardens
0tterbot 0tterbot is offline

Default asparagus

"0tterbot" wrote in message
Since they crop in Spring, you need to move them between now and about
mid winter. I don't imagine you'd get much from them next Spring

see above - wasn't going to pick any, actually, so that is quite all
right.

at such a
young age - perhaps enough to taste fresh very young tips - then don't
harvest any more till they have had a chace to grow on for another year.

would mid-winter be all right?!

Yes, that's about the time you see the poor dry crowns for sale in
nurseries. I've found you can't kill them with a stick. I have one
trying to come up near my clothes line where the asparagus bed used to be
about 5 years ago. It's suffered from not bein gwatered at all for all
those years and being walked over all the time but it's still alive. I
have 3 more plants around the garden form other asparagus bed encarnations
too. Must move them this year to the new bed.

that would solve the problem - getting the
bed ready without having to rush. atm they're in my greenhouse but i
might need to toughen them up if they'll be moving later when the frosts
have started. they haven't started dying off for winter or anything. i
thought i could keep them on the verandah outdoors for a while.(?)

Sounds OK to me
kliye

Really?

no! i lie!!!!! :-)

ta for the tips. i'll get myself (and my asparagus bed) sorted out shortly,
and we'll see how we go! i am reassured to know nothing is likely to go too
badly wrong. they're still fairly small (as you can imagine) so putting htem
in deeply with straw over the top shouldn't be a problem at all for winter,
& they can organise themselves thereafter!
kylie -- i've kicked kliye out and resumed control of the body