Old 23-04-2007, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Work, Work, Work

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:50:43 -0400, "Hud"
wrote:

I didn't realize how much work it is to put in a small 5'x8' garden! The
hardest part was stripping the sod and turning the big, heavy chunks of clay
soil with a shovel. Quite a few big rocks came out of that small patch of
ground! I added some sand and 5 big bags of nice, dark soil. The pitch
fork really came in handy for breaking down the chunks and mixing the soil.
I was able to work the soil to a depth of about a foot or more. Today I
busted up more chunks and turned the soil again. The last step was to rake
the soil nice and level. I think it looks pretty good. The wind is kicking
up here in Ohio and it looks like rain is on the way. I'll rake the surface
a few more times during the week and I'm thinking of putting seed (carrots &
green beans) in the ground next weekend if the weather permits.

Bean seeds do not like cold soil. They just sit there. Carrots
should be ok.
--
Susan N.