Old 23-04-2007, 08:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer[_3_] cloud dreamer[_3_] is offline

Default Work, Work, Work

The Cook wrote:
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:50:43 -0400, "Hud"
wrote:

I didn't realize how much work it is to put in a small 5'x8' garden! The
hardest part was stripping the sod and turning the big, heavy chunks of clay
soil with a shovel. Quite a few big rocks came out of that small patch of
ground! I added some sand and 5 big bags of nice, dark soil. The pitch
fork really came in handy for breaking down the chunks and mixing the soil.
I was able to work the soil to a depth of about a foot or more. Today I
busted up more chunks and turned the soil again. The last step was to rake
the soil nice and level. I think it looks pretty good. The wind is kicking
up here in Ohio and it looks like rain is on the way. I'll rake the surface
a few more times during the week and I'm thinking of putting seed (carrots &
green beans) in the ground next weekend if the weather permits.

Bean seeds do not like cold soil. They just sit there. Carrots
should be ok.

Yup. Carrots don't mind it. I usually put mine in late April, early May.
They can take up to three weeks to germinate, but go mad after that.
They can also be left in the ground until the snow flys.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East