Old 24-04-2007, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Tihomir Tihomir is offline

Default Ph. aureosulcata has started to shoot!

"Tihomir" wrote in message
Unexpectedly, my Phyllostachys aureosulcata began to shoot. I was mowing
my backyard (it was very early for first mowing as well), not expecting
there will be bamboo shoots, and the other day I noticed that I cut few
emerging clums while mowing.
Last year this bamboo started to shoot around 1st of May. Month and a half
later! But of course, we litteraly had no winter in continental parts of
Croatia this year. That's why it started so early.

Last year it was so:

Fargesia mid April
Phylostachys aureosulcata late April
vivax mid May
nigra late May
Pleioblastus May
Pseudosasa June

When bamboos shoot in your gardens, people?

Tihomir

Well, no one is interesed. I would expect people on bamboo group to be as
much excited about bamboo shooting season as I am, but obviously that is not
the fact.

At the moment vivax is shooting, to. Also Fargesias, aureosulcata
'Spectabilis', some Pleioblastus.
Ph. nigra, Pseudosasa and Pl. linearis are still waiting - for how long, I
wonder? Temperatures here in Croatia are as if it is late May or June, but
it is very dry, no rain in last 4 weeks.