Old 25-04-2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default White snake

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 12:17:33 -0700, Paulo da Costa
wrote:

Persephone wrote:
Maybe this is OT, maybe not.

My gardeb is in So.Calif coastal.

Saw my cat staring at something yesterday afternoon.

Turned out to be a PURE WHITE SNAKE, about +- 3 feet long,
lurking under a rose bush. About 1-1/2" thick.

I called Animal Control, but snake was gone by the time they arrived.

They seemed dismissive of my (and my cat's; he was meowing and running
around in circles like crazy) concern. "Oh, it's just a garden snake;
we see them all the time", etc. I asked whether I should block up the
cat door, but they said snakes wouldn't go in there. ???

They probably meant "garter snake". Albino garter snakes are sold as
pets, as you can see he

http://www.albinogartersnake.com/

Probably not a great danger to anything larger than a mouse

Paulo

Sometimes when I see the corn snakes out back they look white, but do
have very faint coloration in a nice pattern. That I know of, there
are only four snakes in the United States which are venomous;
rattlers, water moccasins, copper head or coral. If there are
others, I'm not aware of them. My husband was bit by a rat snake a
while back as we removed it from the neighbors' yard. We asked her
not to kill them and offered to remove snakes for her. He didn't even
get a welt.