Old 26-04-2007, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
cloud dreamer[_3_] cloud dreamer[_3_] is offline

Default Work, Work, Work

John Savage wrote:
cloud dreamer writes:
Don't forget to add some peat...helps immensely with water retention.
Also a hand full of bone meal and some well rotted manure.

His beans will do well with the manure; for the carrots it could be
their ruination. Always grow another crop before carrots in newly
manured ground, or the carrots are likely to develop multiple forks
and almost no body.

I've always added a little well-rotted composted manure to my beds
before planting. I've yet to have problems with any of my root crops. I
think the problem of forked carrots comes from fresh manure. I've never
had a problem with the bagged composted manure.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.