Old 27-04-2007, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara Klara is offline

Default Death of a 'Crank'

In message , Sacha
writes
Kay Canter who, with her husband David, started the vegetarian restaurant
ball rolling with their restaurant Cranks in Carnaby Street in the 60s, has
died in Totnes, Devon at the age of 85.
Her obituary in one of our local papers says that she used to make wholemeal
bread in her kitchen in the country and then travel up to London, clutching
the loaves destined for their restaurant. Cranks in Carnaby Street started
before that road achieved its famous heights and their restaurant was
patronised by pop stars, including the Beatles.

We were newly married and working in London then, and Cranks is the only
place I can still clearly remember going to lunch at (except the Italian
restaurant where I got the worst food poisoning of my life from prawns
that had gone off; this was two weeks before my poor daughter was born,
she had hiccups for two whole weeks inside me, right up until the birth
- and with somewhat disastrous consequences for her digestion even
today!). But as for Cranks, it's just as clear as if it had been
yesterday: the ambience, the food ...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin