Old 28-03-2003, 09:32 PM
LeighMo

Default Black brush algae from hell

How much light do you have over this tank?

ph 7.2
KH: ~3

That's not a lot of CO2. If algae takes off whenever you fertilize, I suspect
your tank is CO2-limited. Try to add enough CO2 to get your pH down to 6.6.

I wouldn't worry about the phosphate. I've got tons more phosphate than you.
(40ppm in my tapwater!) There was a little bit of BBA when I first set up the
tank, but it soon vanished.

IME, when you set up a tank (or re-set up a tank), it's normal to experience
algae outbreaks. Don't panic, and don't overreact. The plants need time to
get established and start growing well. Don't be afraid to fertilize. It may
take time, but if you give the plants everything they need, the algae will go
away.

Leigh