Old 03-05-2007, 09:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Niek Hanckmann Niek Hanckmann is offline

Default Orchis Cactus - "Orchid Cactus - resize.JPG" 159.4 kBytes yEnc

Hi Mike,

It is a Cactus indeed. It belongs to the genus Epiphyllum and the common
name for these is "Orchid Cactus" probably because of their splendid
flowers. Has nothing to do with Orchids though. It is difficult to say
what species or hybrid this is.
Many of the species of Epiphyllum grow epifytically, just like our
orchids. They grow easily in to large specimen plants that can have many
flowers.

Greets, Niek

Mike Dunsmore schreef:
I took this picture yesterday with my new camera. The person who gave me this plant said it is an 'Orchid Cactus' but I thought it was a succulent and have it growing in regular soil. It's bloomed over the years with these beautiful fragrant blossoms but
they only last a day or so. I've tried to look it up on the Internet but, I guess, it's only a generic name for a few plants, among these are mostly plants that grow in tree tops. I'm confused. It looks like a succulent to me but my research says it's an
orchid?