Old 08-05-2007, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Bill[_3_] Bill[_3_] is offline

Default Greenhouse / Shadehouse

In Central to South Florida I call the elaborate gutter connected
greenhouses "OVENS" many commercial growers use them and in summer
their 1,000 fans still will not bring the temps below 100. Plants
grown in them need so much extra care as to warrent extra employees or
more expensive automated climate control. I have opted to try to grow
as naturally as possible so that when I tell a customer they can grow
on a porch, patio, lanai or in trees their plants will do very well --
not having to "adapt" to new climatic conditions. Just a large
structure covered with shade cloth so plants get the rain and air
movement as nature supplys-- no fans or "wet pads" (which BTW are a
big waste of money in Florida) [High humidity State]. I must admit to
extra work during our usually" once every 10 years freezes." I can see
"ovens" in states where freezing temperatures are the norm every year
but in Florida they are a joke & will limit the type plants that can
be grown in them, or greatly increase time and money spent to keep
some genera alive. Electricity is getting more & more expensive. I
know I'll hear from the "experts" on how this system won't work-- but
I've been doing it for 35 years. Good growing no matter how you do it.
Bill