Old 08-05-2007, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\) Robert \(Plymouth\) is offline

Default HELP! Urgent tomato help needed please!

Fergal wrote:
: Hi
:
: Some of my tomato plants (all grown from seed from last years
: harvest) are very spindly and don't look at all well compared to one
: plant in a growbag in my small lean-to greenhouse which is very
: healthy with vigorous growth. Some are flowering already which seems
: too early to me. See pictures here for comparison:
:
: http://bassmonsta.spymac.com/DSC00008.JPG
: http://bassmonsta.spymac.com/DSC00009.JPG
:
: The seeds were sown in early March and planted out a couple of weeks
: ago. The poorly plants are against a south facing wall in troughs
: which I have been using for tomatoes for the last three years or so.
: I normally just change the compost in the troughs, but this year I
: added some manure.
:
: Could the manure be the problem and will the plants recover if I
: change the compost? Or did I plant them out too early and the cold
: weather (I'm in Bristol) has damaged them? Should I just bin them and
: start again?
:
: Thanks

My twopence worth says they are suffering from a cold check but they should
recover.