Old 29-03-2003, 12:44 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default wood chips between raised beds?

The message
from Dylan Keon contains these words:
For the paths, I'm
currently thinking of weeding, covering with weed barrier cloth, and
then covering with a couple inches of wood chips.

You won't need the barrier cloth under the paths; you might want to
lay flattened card packing boxes under the chips, which will smother all
the weeds to death before they disintegrate into the soil.

Years ago we had a large amount of woodchips to disperse, so I laid
them 4 " deep between our raised vegetable beds as a temporary path.(I
didn't need the card underlay as it was clean weedfree soil). Six years
later the "temporary" paths were still good; a very few weeds were
starting to appear but could easily be tweaked out by hand. Even in a
very wet climate the paths stay clean and pleasant to walk on.

Janet.