Old 09-05-2007, 03:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Manelli Family[_2_] Manelli Family[_2_] is offline

Default Home Depot's Cattleyas

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
. ..
FWIW, those little guys are iffy, at best. They are young things, often
without pedigrees. *If* you get a viable one, it will be several years
before you see a flower. Add to that the fact that they have not been
exactly coddled, and you have a recipe for failure.

One indeed looks "iffy," but I was told to keep the receipt. If it dies
they will replace it or refund my money. The second one looks very healthy
and has a new shoot starting on one side.

Just my opinion, but it's an educated one. If you want to purchase babies,
buy a compot or seedling from a reliable grower. Personally, I like my
gratification to come a little earlier, LOL!

Oh, I don't mind waiting for flowers. I wouldn't know a reliable grower
from a used orchid salesman. Can you recommend one? The new greenhouse has
plenty of space. :0)

Diana

"Manelli Family" wrote in message
I stopped by HD this morning and saw they got in those very small
cattleyas in the mesh bags for under $5 each. I couldn't resist and came
home with two of them. These are the first catts in years. I think my
first one failed to flower because I was given the wrong information by
the person working at the Nursery. Hopefully these babies will do better.