Old 09-05-2007, 04:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Manelli Family[_2_] Manelli Family[_2_] is offline

Default Home Depot's Cattleyas

"bobc" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 8, 8:22 pm, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:
FWIW, those little guys are iffy, at best. They are young things, often
without pedigrees. *If* you get a viable one, it will be several years
before you see a flower. Add to that the fact that they have not been
exactly coddled, and you have a recipe for failure.

Just my opinion, but it's an educated one. If you want to purchase
babies,
buy a compot or seedling from a reliable grower. Personally, I like my
gratification to come a little earlier, LOL!

Diana

"Manelli Family" wrote in message

I stopped by HD this morning and saw they got in those very small
cattleyas
in the mesh bags for under $5 each. I couldn't resist and came home
with
two of them. These are the first catts in years. I think my first one
failed to flower because I was given the wrong information by the person
working at the Nursery. Hopefully these babies will do better.- Hide
quoted text -

Howdy!
I agree with Diana, you will get stronger plants from a reliable
grower ... although the ones they sold at Lowes did have tags.

Yes, these have tags and are dated 8/8/06. The smaller one is about 6" tall
and the other is almost 9" tall.

And the wait ... I've waited over three years for a flower from a
seedling Phal I brought and it wasn't quite worth it. And yet, many
growers here can get them to flower in about 18 months.

Could a greenhouse make the difference? I noticed my plants all did so much
better in the GH this past year than they ever did in my large sun room.

I think I
remember reading that Catts can take up to seven years from seed to
flower under good conditions. I wonder how long it would take at my
house? G

Oh my gosh!!!!

Anyway, have at it and enjoy!

It's a fantastic hobby.