Old 09-05-2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Vreejack Vreejack is offline

Default Duckweed Source

On May 8, 1:10 am, (Richard Sexton) wrote:
In article om,

Vreejack wrote:
On Apr 23, 1:01 pm, (Richard Sexton) wrote:
In article .com,

wrote:
Does anyone know of a trustworthy source for duckweed on the web?

People BUY that stuff? I consider it a pest at best a noxious weed at worst.

If you lived near me I'd give you garbage bags full of the crap.

Duckweed is important if you are running a natural low-tech tank.
Instead of changing the water you scoop out some of the duckweed. The
only water that gets changed in my tank is whatever is in the
biofilter when I clean it.

Ah! So there's a name for my particular brand of aquatic neglect.

If you let it go the duckweed will eventually screen out all the
light. This is why many aquatic plants secrete allelochemicals that
stymie duckweed growth (and even more importantly, algae). Many
plants can stop floaters from germinating, and some lilies can
actually kill duckweed outright. If you change the water frequently
this will not happen because the allelochems will be removed, but it
should be said that many aquatic plants have similar effects on each
other and the interactions are difficult to sort out. If you run a
natural tank like I do then you have to find out the hard way which
plants are being stunted by others.