Old 13-05-2007, 10:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Safe paint for concrete block pond?

On Sun, 13 May 2007 07:08:48 CST, Delbert wrote:

For several months now I've been working on a small koi pond for the
back yard. The shell is formed out of concrete block sitting on a 6"
thick concrete slab. Total capacity of the pond will be about 1300
gallons with a small waterfall at one end and a skimmer at the other.

The concrete block work is now done and I'm turning my attention to
painting. Knowing that concrete block is porous, and will raise the
alkalinity of the water, I need to find a good paint to cover
everything with. My first thought is to use swimming pool paint as it
is designed for constant water exposure.

Has anyone had any experience with the "Smart Seal" line of paints
(http://www.smartsealco.com/pool/)? They have epoxy, acrylic enamel,
and synthetic rubber products. This brand caught my attention because
it is carried by a local vendor.

Epoxy is the one I'm familiar to hearing other fish ponders use locally.
Hopefully you will get those with personal experience to follow up.

P.S. Sorry if you also read this on rec.ponds, but I was recommended
to repost here do to users fleeing the unmoderated group.

In droves, I don't even read RP any more. ;-) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us