Old 29-03-2003, 05:08 AM
BK

Default crop rotation

Hi Jane,

Growing a whole lot of different plants together will help to confuse the
bugs, while also quite likely hosting predatory insects (let some umbels
like parsley go to flower). The idea behind crop rotation is to not overdraw
the same nutriets and/or replant in an area with some pathogenic fungus or
some such. It would seem to me that having such a random grouping of things
would probably imply that only rarely would a plant be put in the same spot
next year, and heck it'd be hard to track from year to year such random
plantings. Unless you just made up a mix of seed for 3 or 4 different beds
and rotated your mixs around year to year.
Those are my thoughts, but I can't say I'm a PC expert.

Cheers,
Bear

From: Jane VR
Newsgroups: alt.permaculture
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 09:12:12 +1100
Subject: crop rotation

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this questio. A few years
ago I did a weekend course in permaculture and the teacher said to plant
the veggies all mixed up, different kinds in together, with some herbs
and flowers as well. This was to make it harder for the bugs to find
them. If I do that, should I rotate them from bed to bed as well? Or is
that unnecessary?

Thanks for any help,

Jane