Old 29-03-2003, 07:20 AM
Laurie Stearn

Default Greenfield Mowers

Hi!
I recently looked at a number of mowers at our local shop. I was horrified
at the small size of the wheels, and subsequently the tires. My old
Greenfield with the B&S engine still soldiers on with reasonably large tires
and to this date has not been punctured by blackberry thorns, as my more
recent Cox suffers from this sort of tire flattening hazard. The relatively
powerful motors of modern mowers, would make them excellent for blackberry
slashing, except there are no tires suitable. Shame!
Alan

--

"Andrew G" wrote in message
"bb" wrote in message
I am upgrading my mower soon (when we move houses) & am considering the
Greenfield Weekender (probably the Honda)
How does this compare to say a Rover, Honda, or Masport, Victa?
The Greenfield is comparable in price to the Honda of the same power,

more
expensive than the Rover & Masport, Victa.
Greenfield website reckons that you can cut up to 3mm, How useful is

this?
How reliable are the Greenfield?
Greenfield does not seem to offer a mulch function, is this useful?
Thanks in advance

When you say "Greenfield Weekender (probably the Honda)" do you mean it

has
a Honda motor?
If so, then I would say that Honda are quite reliable, and seem to have
built a good reputation with their engines for mowers, whipper snippers,
generators (and so on).
I can only guess the "cut up to 3mm" means the mower will cut grass down

a minimum of 3mm high. In a household situation it's not something that is
very practical. Unless your law is similar to a bowling/golf green.
Otherwise your average lawn will be too bumpy, and trying to cut at that
height will cause scalping. Not too mention cutting your lawn that short
will mean it'll dry out quicker.
The mulch function is purely up to you. All it will do is finely cut the
grass, spreading it back on to the lawn. This saves you emptying a

catcher,
or if your mower has no catcher, saves you raking..
Hope this helps a little.

Remove "not" from start of email address to reply