Old 15-05-2007, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Seed compost recommendation

In message , Charlie Pridham
writes

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 14 May, 14:15, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

To the degree that peat is treated as a renewable resource, then like
biomass as a power station fuel, it is carbon-neutral. But if it's
extracted faster than it's forming then the above applies.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

My understanding is that in certain areas they are able to extract in a
sustainable way with the peat reforming at the same rate as they extract it
(this seems particularly true of moss peat's rather than Sedge peat's),
while
other bogs are not able to be harvested in this way and should therefore be
protected. The companies extracting have also been able to modify the
methods used to enable faster replacement and are having to look to
sustainable methods as new licences are increasingly difficult to obtain.

It seems most things we do in the environment would be fine if there were
not so many of us doing it, and there seem to be no volunteers to be the
first to stop :~)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk