Old 19-05-2007, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Problems with Mantis tiller

On Thu, 17 May 2007 18:41:08 GMT, Mitch Mitch@... wrote:

I have a 2-year-old Mantis mini-tiller with the 2-stroke engine.

I can't get it to run! It starts easily, and can idle forever, but as
soon as I give it throttle, it dies.

I've replaced the fuel filter, checked the air filter, it has fresh
gas, proper mix ratio.

What else can I do? This is the latest I've ever planted.

Have you taken a good look at the exhaust/muffler?
Especially if you live in area prone to mud wasps. Quite
often the exhaust port is a small pipe about the diameter of
a lead pencil and they find this to be an excellent spot for
one of their mud nests. If the exhaust is restricted by any
amount it won't run properly...

This is a very common problem with power equipment stored in
an area where mud wasps can get to it.

I wasted a lot of time messing around with the carburetor
before figuring this out, much like you are doing

Just another idea/thing to check.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b