Old 23-05-2007, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Friar Donk Friar Donk is offline

Default Frosty Tomatoes

Hello

Over the long weekend the weather was damp but reasonably warm, so I spent
all weekend getting the garden in to shape.

I had 10 tomato plants of various types growing happily inside and
hardening hardening off for a few days so in to the garden they went.

They looked fine until the weather folks warned of some frost. I laid
clear plastic over the plants with a length of twine (making a makeshift
'tent"). I also cut the bottoms off of some water jugs and placed them
over a few of the ones I couldn't reach with the plastic.

The first morning I pulled the tents off and they looked unscathed by the
cold. Frost was again forecast for this morning and I repeated the
procedure but today some of the plants look droopy with some dark green
patches (ie looks like they may have frozen).

There weather is supposed to warm up considerably for the next week or so,
without any additional frost warnings.

I'm wondering if the tomatoes are salvageable, or should I cut my losses
and go buy some transplants. If they are, is there anything I can do to
help them along. I've read a few bits that say go light on the watering
and they may recover.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

--
The Good Friar