Old 28-05-2007, 04:30 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens
JimR JimR is offline

Default Leaf blower and vaccuum on top of roof

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

[snip]
As you can see, there is a valley or built-in gutter around the entire
perimeter which now traps the leaves, there are also leaves on the lowest
part of the screen.

The challenge is how to clean the leaves out.

[snip]

I, too, don't like the idea of trying to walk around on a sloping roof
carrying a heavy vacuum. There are probably a few factors that don't come
out in your post or pictures -- e.g., how many leaves are we talking about;
where does the rainwater drain out, etc.

Some ideas / suggestions you may have already considered:

1. From my experience -- using a blower to blow leaves out of a gutter
isn't effective (as you said). Leaves go everywhere.
2. You may have another problem -- you don't want to be walking on your
roof tile any more than necessary
3. An outdoor vacuum may not be very effective, especially if the leaves
mat up and are wet
4. There is a gas-engined power head to which you can add various
accessories -- one of the accessories is a vacuum. Ryobi, John Deere, and
others make the power head and accessories. Don't go that route because
it's too awkward and heavy.
5. My first efforts would be to use something I didn't have to carry --
a. A regular garden hose with a good nozzle, assuming there are few
enough leaves to wash them down the downspout where the rainwater goes;
b. Or a small electric pressure washer if you need a little more oomph.
You'd have to carry the unit to the roof plus run electricity and water to
the unit, but electric pressure washers are light-weight and comparatively
inexpensive.
c. If you have a good number of leaves, and they're wet, sweep the
leaves down the gutter with a broom and then pick them up manually with one
of those 3' long grabbers available at the BORGs.
d. If I had to use a vacuum, I'd take the wheels off a light-weight
wet-dry shop-vac (one with 2 1/2" diameter hose), buy an extra length of
hose for more range, then carry everything onto the roof and use the 6' wand
and a medium nozzle to pick up the leaves (actually, in this case you could
probably use the same equipment attached to the blower end to first-of-all
corral all of the leaves in one small area).
6. Also, before anything else, I'd look to see what my neighbors in similar
houses do --

Regards --