Old 28-05-2007, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
phillyj phillyj is offline

Default Whats happening?

Thanks Ray! Yes, this is what is happening. How cool. My next
question is, why hasn't the parent plant flowered though? In a month
or so I will cut the keiki and plant it alone, but is there anything I
need to do in order to fascilitate the parent to flower or will it
keep producing these babies?
Thanks a lot.
Jessica

On May 28, 2:39 pm, "Ray B" wrote:
It is forming another plant, commonly known as a "keiki" (pr. Kay-kee,
Hawaiian for "baby"). When it has leaves and a root system totaling about
4" in length, you may remove it, pot it up, and you then have a second plant
identical to the "mother".

Some plants are more genetically disposed to doing so, but that often is an
indication that your culture was not truly adequate for blooming. My first
guess being that it stayed too warm all year long.

--

Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids -www.firstrays.com

"phillyj" wrote in message

ups.com...

Hi guys! Hope you can help with my orchid dilemna.

I have had a Phalaenopsis for over a year now. Just recently I saw
green buds coming from the top of the stem. I thought this was a sign
of it budding but as the months passed it appears instead that it has
grown green leaf petals of some sort. There are now three nicely
colored green leaves at the bottom and two at the top of the stem.
with a long, thin glossy colored "bud" hanging down. Does anyone have
an idea of what may be happening here?

Thanks in advance for any advice, Id be happy to send a photo!

FYI: After the bloom last year, I cut the stem about two inches from
the top.