Old 30-03-2003, 03:32 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Default Getting cuttings to root....

JNJ wrote:

Another project -- We have some honeysuckle shrubs that are just rabid
growers. I've seen these things cut down to the ground in the spring then
grow to 10 feet by the end of the summer. The birds love the shrubs because
they provide both shelter and food (little red berries).

I've TRIED to get some seeds of honeysuckle shrubs -- everyone is either out
or they want to sell a tiny packet for an outrageous price. So I'm thinking
trying my hand at getting some cuttings to root.

I've never really tried this, so I thought I'd hit the collective up for
some suggestions. Can I just cut some stems, put some rooting powder on the
ends and stick 'em in the ground?

Layering is foolproof. Bend a long stem to the ground, "staple" in
place with a piece of bent wire, cover with soil. Keep watered until it
roots.

Stems that can't be bent can be airlayered. Lightly nick the stem at a leaf
or branch node to stimulate a healing/growth response. Pack a damp soil ball
around the wound and bandage with a piece of Saran Wrap. When you can see
roots through the film, cut from the mother and replant.

With either approach, there's no need to apply rooting powder.