Old 30-03-2003, 03:33 AM
Jerry Meislik

Default [IBC] BCI March/April 2003 issue. Some observations.

Dale,
I haven't gotten the issue yet but Casuarina is a terrific species for
tropical bonsai which is much under-used. It does tend to be mainly stiff
and straight in its normal growth pattern. Raft styles are unusual. I have
seen many bonsai masterpieces done by Robert Stevens and he is a master
bonsai artist. His trees are all gorgeous.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 3-4
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/
I know there are some Casuarina fans on the list ( Jerry M. and Florida guys)
. That very large Casuarina raft by Robert Stevens on pg.37 is a beauty!.
Every tree of his I see is gorgeous! As I'm thinking about it, it seems all
the ones I rember seeing are single trunks ( usually huge BTW). This is VERY
nice.

second, not sure if anyone noticed, but the very interesting "African style"
Buddleja saligna ( false olive) on pg34 has an equally interesting oval pot
with uneven-undulating height in it's sides. Very interesting. I'd like to
know where this pot came from ( hand-made, manufactured, ?) I may have to try
my hand at one of this style pot, although it really needs the right
tree/style as in this case. I can almost see a giraffe below stretching his
neck to snack on the high foliage. Neat!!
Regards,
Dale Cochoy, Wild Things Bonsai Studio, Hartville, Ohio
http://www.WildThingsBonsai.Com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++