Old 01-06-2007, 09:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst Chas Hurst is offline

Default Tecumsehs last forever

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"theChas." wrote in message

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"theChas." wrote in message
.. .
They have no choke so they don't start... they attain very old age in
almost
new condition.

Are you talking about newer machines with primer buttons ?

********************
Yes.
Right after 9/11 I bought a Sears 2300 watt generator for emergencys. I
cannot heat my house without electricty to operate my gas furnace. I
discovered I can't start the generator (OHV) on the 4th of July, let
alone
when it's 40 below zero. Primer bulb and all. It has an updraft intake
manifold and the carb has a horizontal inlet. Fuel will run out of that
inlet, but with the hand pull start, it does not draw it into the
cylinder.
So it does not start. I discovered I have to keep the generator in my
house
(empty fuel tank) and then when outside, remove the spark plug, and
insert
gasoline into the top of the cylinder with an eye dropper. That gets it
fire, but not run. I then had to find a rubber plug so I can hand choke
it
until it finally is able to draw fuel/air into the cylinder and it starts
run smoothly. This is not a guaranteed first time start. Sometimes I
have
to add fuel in the sparkplug hole 2-3 times, before it starts. I don't
use
starter fluid because it can damage an engine.
Sears was of absolutley of assistance or help. I run it every 2 months
for
20 minutes, and change oil yearly. I have to go through that process
every
time, or it will not start, regardless of the temperture.
. . .In all fairness, I do have a Sears walk behind lawn mower with the
Tec
engine, and it is no problem. It is so old that parts are not now
available
for it, but it runs great and mows nicely. Recently one of the height
adjusters broke, and I could not replace it. But I managed to weld it
(spring steel) and it has held up for a month now.
. . .I believe that without a choke, an undraft manifold is a losing
proprosition.

I believe your primer bulb is not working - either a bad line to it or
faulty or something.

I've got the same engine on my snowblower. But it has a choke-and a primer
bulb. No problems starting it after it sits out the warm weather.