Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
Britannica

Default Earthworms

Kay Easton wrote in message ...
In article , Britannica
writes
We had a serious problem with a mole last autumn. The mole was dealt
with but after several months we are still suffering from an almost
total lack of earthworms in the garden -very few are seen when
digging.

Where to buy worms ? I believe those sold locally by fishing-tackle
shops are unsuitable ?

I wouldn't have thought the mole was totally to blame - more that the
conditions aren't right for a high population of worms, so buy buying
some and adding them might simply be a waste of money. Url below might
tell more

Kay - thanks for the URL, but I didn't find a list of retail worm
stockists.

I think you under-estimate the digestive capacity of a mole. It will
eat its own bodyweight of worms in a day. In a small garden over five
months I'm pretty sure it cleaned us out.

The mole-catcher got it in November and reckoned it would likely have
starved to death pretty soon amyway.

The soil conditions won't have changed much since last May when we had
a shedfull of worms and in the last couple of weeks we've been digging
in plenty of good home-made compost and rotted-down leaves. No worms
to be seen though so I think we'll have to introduce a starter
population to get the numbers back up to normal.

Anyway the mole-catcher cost us 40 quid and we can't really afford the
50 your Edward is asking for a consultancy fee so we'll just have to
resort to digging in the fields by torchlight.

Keep you're fingers crossed we don't get caught - the magistrates
round here all seem to be farmers !