Old 06-06-2007, 12:05 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids
Ray B Ray B is offline

Default Pelorism? x2

FWIW, I have a Lowara Judy Barrick (B. flagellaris x Sl Smoking Mirror) that
was the "runt of the litter" from a mass of seedlings I got from Allen Black
a few years ago. It somehow survived my neglect, mounted on a cork slab,
and just bloomed for the first time with two blossoms.

This looks like it may some day be a really nice plant, but this time, one
blossom was simply missing a petal, while the other had both of them fused
with the lip.

The plant was sprayed with a Bayer Tree & Shrub formulation containing Merit
while in small bud, but obviously don't know if that contributed.

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I have a Blc (Slc?) Natalie Canipeli 'Moonshot' that is blooming this year
with fused buds, too.

I gotta get better at this hobby.

"John Varigos" wrote in message
om...
Hi Kathy

Cold temperatures can also cause this to happen. I have a Vanda tricolor
that regularly gave me deformed/fused floral segments until I increased
the minimum temperature.

Cheers

John

"K Barrett" wrote in message
news
Wendy, you are right! I did spray a few (2?? 3??) weeks ago with an
orthene product, so I guess that could be it. I'll wait to see how it
blooms next time. As to your Canhamiana I had a mossiae that bloomed
with those same streaks and like an idiot I tossed it. Later I found
another plant that I forgot to toss out becasue it bloomed with streaks
too (I think it was a Canhamianna 'Azure Sky) and it bloomed the next
year just fine. So I'd say keep your isolated (just in case) but wait
and see what happens next year.

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Kathy,
Have you used any chemicals on it, if so, what?
I tag & record info when I use the Big Guns & found this happen when I
used
cygon?
I have a terrible picture of a Canhamiana & I am sick as it looks like
virus!!!! Attaching same.
Have removed it from the g/h & it is a division so have to find the
original.
Cheers Wendy

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..