Old 06-06-2007, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran Gail Futoran is offline

Default rosa therese bugnet

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I am new to growing roses and recently planted a rosa therese bugnet
at the front of a bed. I didn't realize that this rose grew so large
and I am wondering if I should move it or if I can prune it to keep
it
a reasonable size for the space (~3 - 4 feet).

Thanks,
Sonia

It helps to say where you live. E.g., if it's
already very hot where you live, moving a
recently planted rose again might shock and
kill it. If it's still fairly cool you can probably
move it now safely, or you can wait until
Autumn.

I've moved large roses over winter (or what
passes for winter where I live), with success.
You prune it down to a few feet, take as
much of the root ball as you can, give it some
sort of root stimulator (I prefer seaweed but
not everyone can get it), and don't feed it until
it reestablishes itself. But do water.

Re pruning to size it in place: Some roses
won't bloom or won't bloom as much if you
prune them more than they should be pruned.
Do the research on your rose to find out how
much pruning it can tolerate.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA