Old 11-06-2007, 10:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Anyone else have their filter inside?

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 18:49:12 CST, "Bill Stock" wrote:

I've been trying to find/negotiate a place for my barrel filter, but there
really are not any good options.

But I realized that the basement entryway is only about 15' from the pond.
This is basically a 8x4 concrete room where the outside stairs turn to meet
the basement entry door. It even has it's own drain. This is where I ran the
electrical conduit to the pond. The downside is that I have to dig up the
patio stones again, although I may tunnel (water drill) this time.

One problem I see is that the top of the barrels would be below the level of
the pond, unless I raised the barrels. Raising the barrels is probably safer
from a leak perspective, but it would mean having 500 ponds 4' off the
ground. A couple of other pros I can think of are having the aerator/heater
inside during the winter.

Any one else done this? Any cautions/ideas?

IMHO, you want those barrels level or somewhat above the pond level, else
any overflow (think heavy rain) is gonna happen at the barrels...... and
then the drain in the floor gets clogged.... and it is omg time. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us