Old 12-06-2007, 04:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Bill Stock Bill Stock is offline

Default Anyone else have their filter inside?

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 18:49:12 CST, "Bill Stock" wrote:

One problem I see is that the top of the barrels would be below the level
of
the pond, unless I raised the barrels. Raising the barrels is probably
safer
from a leak perspective, but it would mean having 500 ponds 4' off the
ground. A couple of other pros I can think of are having the
aerator/heater
inside during the winter.

Any one else done this? Any cautions/ideas?

IMHO, you want those barrels level or somewhat above the pond level, else
any overflow (think heavy rain) is gonna happen at the barrels...... and
then the drain in the floor gets clogged.... and it is omg time. ~ jan

LOL, yeah the other brain cell flickered after I wrote the original message.
Even though the barrels are water tight, it's probably best to keep the tops
above water level.

I was checking this out tonight and it appears that I will have to keep the
barrels tight to the ceiling to do this. Although it's a little hard to tell
by looking. I'll have to dig out the water level to be sure where the water
level lies in the 'filter room'. On the bright side, it's even less than 15'
from the 'filter room' to the middle of the pond.