Old 30-03-2003, 02:56 PM
LeighMo

Default Black brush algae from hell

GH & KH at the old place were 0. I'm not kidding. Normally the water here on
the
west coast of Canada is GH 0, KH 0 and ph 5.8 - 6.

And you didn't have problems? Man, I wouldn't want to be injecting CO2 into
water like that.

GH ~1. I'll keep adding the Kent R/O to raise the GH. Is this stuff just
epson
salts?

I think it's Epson salts and calcium carbonate. g You could make your own,
but many people believe the ratio of calcium to magnesium is important, and if
you use Kent R/O, you don't have to worry about it.

30% water changes will continue until the SAE's can get a handle on the BBA
problem.

I don't think that's necessary, now that you are adding the proper traces.
You're not giving your tank a chance to stabilize. SAEs prefer young, tender
BBA to old, tough stuff, so you might want to remove visible algae when you
can. (By removing the leaves it's growing on, if the plant can spare them.)
The SAEs will keep new algae from growing in to replace it. It will take time,
so be patient.

Leigh