Old 15-06-2007, 08:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default OK - the first pond starts tomorrow

Kurt wrote:

We have also had good experience with clumping bamboo and there are so
many varieties (depending on your location). We are using them now as a
privacy wall on one side of the yard and also around the pond area.
None of them (4 varieties) have ever spread.

That is good to know.....I've got 3 varieties of bamboo and none of them
seem to have become invasive....the clumps around the site of the pond
are all the same species. I do need to hack them back two or three times
a year but the actual root clump isn't expanding.

Interesting tidbit I learned at the nursery. You can tell the difference
between clumping and non-clumping bamboo by looking at the stalk.
The clumping will be smooth all the way around, the non-clumping will
have a notch on one side running up the length of it.

Thanks...this confirms mine are all the of the clumping variety.

Gill

PS can't wait to see the reflection of the bamboo in the water of the
pond.....I'm getting a sneak preview with them being reflected in the
reservoir of the old water feature that I haven't moved yet because of
the frogs