Old 30-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Nick Thudick

Default NEWBIE HELP: How to seed?

Hello,

I've been an amateur gardener for a few years, and I am interested in
learning more.

One thing I've never understood is seeding. The directions are a little
confusing, but I'd like to have more success.

First, what is the "last heavy spring frost"?

Also, what is a "seed starting formula"? I've read about soil-less
mixtures. This boggles my mind. How the hell did these plants survive
if they need to be started in soil-less mixtures, and then fertilized
when their leaves emerge?

And instructions like, "Sow seeds 6" apart"....does that mean take one
seed and plant it 6" apart from the other one. I know that's probably
it, but some of these seeds are pretty tiny, and I was wondering if it
would be better to plant a few together.

Sorry if these sound like stupid questions, and thanks for any advice!

---Nick